Swmmr Grrl

Nearly as exciting as watching someone swim laps

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

YOU SWIM AMAZINGLY WELL (for a fat lady)

4 x 200M (100 free, 50 back, 50 breast)
1 x 200M free
1 x 200M (100 free, 50 back, 50 breast)
================
1200M (30 minutes)

Went swimming this morning, as I had to work in the evening. Got a lane to myself and there was someone swimming in the lane next to me wearing a wetsuit and with pretty good speed. When 2 mothers arrived and parked their babies on the side and looked rather bewildered as to which lane they should swim in, I offered my lane and went over to the wetsuit lane.

At first I thought it was a woman swimming, but when I asked if we should divide the lane between us or swim in circles, I saw it was a man. Actually a host from the Danish version of dancing with the stars. I got a sense that he was competing a bit against me particularly when my breast stroke was as fast as his crawl. After I swam several hundred meters in his lane he said, "You swim amazingly well" and we spoke briefly. I was actually finished with swimming my planned kilometer when he said it, but so he didn't feel like he had embarassed me out of the pool I swam an additional 200 meters.

The funny thing is that although it is a compliment it also expresses the wonder that I could swim faster them him. If I had as little body fat as he does (which is probably why he swims in a wetsuit), I don't think he would have been so surprised that I was gliding past him, but my seal-like nature (taking half as many strokes as he does) took him by suprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home